1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally dropped the cloth

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zechstoker, May 9, 2012.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

As of last week, I've officially stopped using the stock cloth bagger that came with my HRC216, and switched over to a metal Accelerator bag. All I have to say is: wow, what a difference!

We had this bagger at the shop the whole time, but nobody ever told me the pro's of using it except for "it holds more clippings." I started using it after the cloth bag kept clogging up and causing other problems, and after using this at all my accounts, the old cloth bag may be permanently retired now. God bless it :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. zechstoker

Really getting the full benefits of this high-lift blade now. Almost like running a brand new machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

i about **** myself today mowing foot tall grass for a customer and how little i had to empty my grass gobbler. previously i'd just used it for leaves, it really packs it in there only downside is its heavy!
  4. zechstoker

Yeah, the weight of it was my initial complaint when starting to use it, but that's something I got use to really quick. It'd also be nice if it weren't spraying dust and debris through the wire mesh, but then again that helps reduce the amount of stuff that fills up the bag. I can handle that :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

zechstoker could you snap a pic of the bracket that spans the width of the handle.The one that holds the rear of the bagger thanks!!!!!
  6. zechstoker

Here's a few pictures for ya.

support bar.jpg

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that looks great for leaves. But, filled with grass, even 2/3 full would really impact the balance of the mower.

I don't know how a 216 responds to loads from the bagger, but with good grass clippings, my 217 is very back-heavy with the cloth bag 2/3 of the way full. If I do fill it, I really need to keep lifting the handles to keep the mower from tipping backwards.
  8. zechstoker

Surprisingly, it's very well balanced, even with that Accelerator stuffed full. The only time I notice the weight on the back-end is when adjusting the height settings on the front wheels.
  9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good, If I did any more bagging with a 21 then I do I would be tracking down one of those. They make a great product. I use the heck outa my accelerator and love it. Nothing ticks me off then when the catcher is only half full.....ugh
  10. zechstoker

Half full and leaving a trail of clippings? You know how it goes with these Accelerators. If you see a trail of clippings behind the mower, that's a dead giveaway that the catcher's packed to the gills, and time to empty it out. Always a joy emptying it though when it's to that point.