1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally figured out my 2 year 2 stroke nightmare.......

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2k1yzfr1, Mar 30, 2006.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

My damn enclosed trailer is to blame for my redmax trimmer and blower running like crap. Today we were mowing in a subdivision where we have about 15 yards each one taking less than 15 mins so run/cool down time is about the same. The tempature was about 80, and usual the blower started running at half rpm for the first 1-2 mins of operation. So just to see what would happen I put the blower in the back of the truck and went to the next yard.......from then on it ran flawless, not a hiccup, sputter, stumble....absolutely PERFECT for the next 10 yards or so. Just for shits and giggles I put the trimmer back there, since for the first 2-3 mins of the yard it sounds like it "floods" out on anything above half throttle. Well for the last 8 yards we did it ran PERFECT also! Started on the first pull and ran full throttle for the whole yard.

So anyone have an explantion as to what with my enclosed trailer is causing this? I have tried unscrewing the gas caps, different fuel/oil, and all the obvious things. I am going to get a thermometer tomorrow and put it inside the trailer just to see what the temp difference is.
  2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

well, i can tell you heat will ruin gas, i have a few machines right now that are sorta backups for the owner. they stay in the enclosed trailer unless a main machine breaks, so they sit alot. in only about a month the gas was cooked, they run bad, will only run on half choke and feathering the throttle. fuel stunk to high heaven, fuel systems messed up. im sure it gets well over 100 degrees in the trailer here in illinois, must get way hotter in texas. im going through the machines now, and will try to keep one mix fuel can with sta-bil, see if that works.
    the gas situation has gotten worse around here. 10 percent ethanol is the law since 1993, and all the clean air additives have made it worse. fuel will spoil in 30 days in the heat, but folks still put their mowers away for the winter doing nothing to them, and they still run in spring.
  3. 2k1yzfr1

I buy fuel 3-4 times a week :)
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have the same problem on our enclosed trailers, but on Echo and Stihl they have carb jet adjustment that help. When it gets hot you crank down the amount of gas going into the carb and that helps starting. It gets very difficult to start a hot engine that is flooded.
  5. 2k1yzfr1

All the newer echos and redmaxes are non adjustable carbs. What temperature does your equipment start acting up? Could the gas caps not be venting enough for the heat inside the trailer?.......but on the other hand a weedeater sitting out in the sun on a 105 degree day should be building up more pressure. This doesn't make any sense to me why it would run flawless in the back of the truck, but when you put it in the trailer they turn into the biggest POS's. :confused: