1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally fixed!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Jun 1, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, after almost two years of a poorly running kawisaki once hot and several trips to the dealer, I fixed it myself. Diagnosed a bad coil on the right side. It would start losing power and this time when it did I stopped mowing and pulled the right side plug wire off first. Noticed a small change in the way it was running, barely noticable though. Then pulled left plug wire and the engine was running very rough and skipping beats. Tried this when I got back to the house and pulling left plug = engine died. Got a new coil, threw it on and no more problems.

Now I just hafta figure out this blue smoke on startup stuff...;)
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

blue smoke on start up could be valve guides. as long as it's running good and not using too much oil then all is fine.
  3. lawnmaniac883

Started cutting my Friday route today and for awhile all was fine. Suddenly on 2nd lawn the mower began to surge heavily and then completely shut the f$ck down. Restarted and I am having the same problem as before X2...

This is getting to be rediculous so I am heading to my dealer in a few to either have it repaired or buy a new friggin motor. Hopefully he can fix the blue smoke on startup issue as well as my poor running condition. If not then :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
  4. lawnmaniac883

Got it back from the dealer, he replaced another coil and guess what; did the same thing. Not quite as bad but still choked itself out and ended up dying. Could a malfunctioning governor be the culprit? Going back to the dealer monday. Does anyone know what kawasaki's policy is on engine replacement i.e. LEMON? Engine is almost out of warranty w/ only 210 hours on it I am wondering if they will just shortblock or replace? This is bullshit.
  5. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

which engine is it??

kawis have had a lot of problems of running rich when hot like what your problems sound like from several different minor issues that alot of dealers overlook. But kawi is well aware of them and tought us about them at last years service seminars. if its the bigger engines, they have specific air filters for outer and inner vented carburetors, they also had issues of cooling air from the flywheel blowing into the outer vented carbs overflow hose causing a rich condition. they also has some valve issues, losing seal from carbon build up causing one cylinder to act up when hot and miss/skip (this might be causing your smoking). they are also known for there intake manifold gaskets just flat out disapperaing /wearing out and sucking air badly causing surging.

let me know what model you have and maybe we can help point you in the right direction. kawasaki is hard to deal with on engine replacements, cause they dont make short blocks, so it takes alot to get them to admit to issues and get a new engine, but sometimes they will...
  6. lawnmaniac883

I figured as much that they probably wouldnt shortblock it. But my dealer has been great with the subject and will probably be pretty surprised when he sees me monday morning again as he thinks it is fixed.

Kawasaki FH500V S43 17hp engine
    If you need the ser #'s just let me know.