finally got a break

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i have been getting locates that have been passed because they have been too involved or unlocatable by some of the local guys. this happens every year, the easy stuff gets gobbled up and i get the tough ones for one reason or another.

yesterday i had 2 jobs 114 mile turn around, the first was still lost after 2 different people had tried finding a stuck open valve for 3 days. 44 minutes found.

next was a beautiful estate and there were 2 valves that were working but the valve location was unknown, 21 minutes. both jobs were difficult grounding but i got the best signal i have had in years on the last one.

started at 8:00, done by 10:00, 4 hr turn around time. yesterday was good friday for me.

next week???????????:laugh:

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Good job jim!
    It is the reason why you are dubbed elite locator
    I hope you charged some for your drive-time .

Admittedly I haven't been having much luck with the 800
    It claims it filters out other interferences.. All it's done for me is when I'm near some other line is just crackle.. It crackles so much I can't hear/ follow the original wire. So so far other then 1 job- I've tried the 800 and then switched to the 521 with better luck :(

I tried the wireless mode and got nothing- read through the manual, maybe I'm doing something wrong

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect your "fixed price" and "no find; no bill" policies go a long way to that. For what you're doing, I'd be on the "squeeze the customer's family jewels till they crumble" billing rate. :)

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you should start advertising yourself as a "Locating Artist", 'cause that's what it seems to take sometime. :)

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

we're all artists sprink, lawns are our canvas' :waving:

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you have been using the 521 exclusively so the 800 is outside of your comfort zone mitch, give it a chance and you will find it very user friendly.

trust me, you and the 800 will do fine :)