Finally got it!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Mar 16, 2001.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

On wednesday I picked up my Scag 52 Hydro 17 HP Advantage Walkbehind!
    This is my first hydro, & it is alot different than the belt drives I have used over the past 6 years. Any hints or things to watch out for would be appreciated. I have already noticed that it turns slightly to the right, & I tried to adjust the tracking adjustment, but it still turns right. Anyone know how to correct this??
    Thanks
    SJR

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, CONGRATS! I bought the same one last year. One thing is the tension springs for the steering. If you plan on using a sulky you have to get a heavier spring as the hydro is forced to neutral under load. You will notice a loss of power on hills. There are 3 different spring tensions and I have found that the middle tension is okay. The heaviest spring gave my forearms such a workout I could not even grip a baseball bat by the end of the day. As for the tracking...you should take it back and have the dealer align. Mine went out after an initial break in period. When I tried to replace the springs and adjust the steering I threw everything so out of whack that I had to take it back for a second time. I will say the thing cuts awesome and with double blades is a dream!

3. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

SJR,

A lot of times, you can "tweak" the straight line tracking on walk-behinds by adjusting the air pressure in one tire or the other. example: If the machine is pulling to the right, slightly increase the pressure in the right hand tire (or decrease the pressure in the left). Always stay within the manufacturers recommended pressure range on the tires though.

Hope this helps,

Gary

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would be careful of uneven terrain. It has been my experience that a 52 will scalp easier than a 48in. or 60in. deck mower.

As an eXmark man myself, I would also like to congratulate you on buying a TANK. Just be careful of the weight factor when the grounds wet and you should do alright.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris