Finally got my new JD 777

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hossmp, Jul 19, 2007.

1. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Well, I finally took delivery today of my JD 777. I am very pleased. I havent been more pleased with a purchase in a very long time. I did a demo on the 757 and 777 last week and ordered a machine for delivery this week. I havent had something that cuts this good since the ultracut Exmark that I retired to my father. I like my bobcat but I believe this will do a little nicer on the grass types I deal with. The nicest thing so far I noticed was the lack of build up under the deck.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Sweet, you'll also like how it mows wet grass too, with no buildup at all. I've never scraped my 7 Iron decks.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

GREAT looking cut in this picture!

Is that unit equipped with the 7-Iron II?

Love the wide stance of the 777.
  4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats:drinkup: , excellent choice. Have you tried it out on any slopes yet?
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How did it compare to the 757. Can you tell alot of difference in power, handling etc. I sue would like to test one for a few hours during the spring growth. Looks good.
  6. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

Is the 777 a commercial unit?
  7. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

To answer the questions asked, yes I tried it on a few hills. I cut a few lawns that have large drainage areas and it was great. The only machine I have that doesnt like it is my older Bobcat however its a 10 year old machine with a narrow stance. I am very pleased with the cut. I have a mixed bag of grass types that I deal with so I have always had issues or one machine being better for one lawn and not so on the other. I fealt like I was taking along a second machine each day just to address these issues.

It is a 7 Iron II deck. It has alot more suction than you would anticipate from a very open deck design. If you look a the deck and then the cut you dont think they would match at all. I will be cutting wet grass today we had a little rain last night.

Relative to the 757 I liked the bigger machine, same deck not much more weight just more room and wider stance. Has little trimability but I have walkbehinds for that sort of stuff. It has the same trim as my Ferris had and the same as the Hustler I did a demo with. It was between this and a Toro. What sold me was I could get a liquid cooled engine on this machine and to get that on a toro or Exmark I had to step into a very expensive machine. They both dont offer the 27 l.c. anymore. They are more like a Deere 797 with the l.c. 29 with dfi which was expensive.

If anyone has any questions let me know I am learning the machine and if I dont know it I probably can check it all out and learn something aswell.
  8. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

So.... how did it do for you on the wet grass?
  9. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Wet grass update..I was very suprised with its wet grass ability. No problems at all this morning in the wet lawns. I purposly re-arranged my schedule to go to a lawn that I usually cut last and its very thick lush irrigated turf. I typically have issues with this lawn thats why I cut it around 3p.m. on friday. The 7 Iron II was very impresive it didnt clump and dispersed well. I went slower than I would have I am not going to lie and say I was cutting over 8 m.p.h. the lawn doenst lend itself to that speed and in those conditions I was taking it easy. To be honest there is still no need to scrape this deck. I put enough hours on the machine the past two days to do the first service already. Up until now the first lawns we cut daily are done with two walkbehinds becuase they leave a good cut when its wet and they scrape easy and no longer do I need to deal with that. I still think the Ultracut will leave a little nicer finish but its alot more work to keep cleaned out on my turf types. I wasnt that pleased with the tritons last year so I cant compare it. I am still very very pleased with the machine. I think that I may even consider getting rid of my 52 inch walk behind and putting a 717 or 727 into service next year if this keeps up.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh yeah. I've been saying this since i got my first 757 in 2002. I have never scraped the deck on these machines, nothing to scrap. I stated mowing today at 6:00am, soaking wet grass. :weightlifter: