1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally got my new mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Mar 4, 2002.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to spread the joy! Picked up my new Wright Stander 52" today w/ a 22 hp Kohler engine.

Man the thing is sweet. Cannot wait to take her for a spin. Too darn cold in Tallahassee today- high of 40 degrees.

Looked long and hard for the right system. This is the one for me. Got it for $5999.00. Plan on working this thing to death (in about 10 years!).

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

congrats on ur purchase, who knows maybe it will run more then 10 years :)
  3. congrats

My buddy has a stander and loves it should do a good long time for ya
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

congrats on your purchase. its 30 degrees here, and i just started my exmark and took it for a spin, to keep it lubed and make sure it runs properly. if you cant handle 40 degrees in Florida, dont ever move to the northeast :D
  5. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We may have already discussed this, but since we both basically cut in the FL panhandle, what height do you cut on?

I cut centipede between 3 & 3 1/2, and St. Augustine from 3 1/2 to 4". Does this sound similar to you? If so, how are you going to do that range w/ the Stander's fixed deck? Its range is 1 1/2 to 3", then if you go any higher, the wheel motors have to be set into different slots.

I loved the stander, but don't see how I can use it :(
  6. sheppard

Dear Guardian,

I'm going to give them the "I'm going to cut this grass at the optimum level." speech. And then go about cutting their grass.

In Tallahassee 3" is fine for St. Aug. sure some houses look better at 4" but , oh well.

I cut bahaia w/ this unit when I tested it- looked fine at about 1.5 "s. Centapede should not be a big issue here. In my opinion most of my competitors cut it was too short anyway- close to 1"!

Grass hight is an issue, for most accounts, because the LCO makes it an issue. Am I cutting it exactly the right hight? No. Are all my customers happy w/ my finished work? Yes.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheppard- Just wanted to say cogratulations on the Stander! I have the same machine with 17 HP Kawi and love it. Always used walk-behinds until last year when I bought the Stander. I don't think I'll be buying walk-behinds anymore:D Mike
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one today and it reminds me of the Great Dane I saw last year. I realy like the Sentar (cuz I like to sit!). Just curious, why did you choose the Stander over the Sentar, reason I'm asking is it looks like you can do either with the Sentar. Was the Sentar a bunch more money, I didn't even ask about the price because they are out of my range right now.
  9. sheppard

It's a fine system if you are 6' or under. I'm 6'4" and I do not fit well standing or sitting on it.

My dealer says it is awesome on hills and slopes. But as big as I am I need something that is comfortable for me.