1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally got the new NPR....but....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pottstim, Dec 4, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday at the printing company I work for we took delivery of our new 2004 Isuzu NPR 132.5" WB with a 14 foot Supreme box. We got it for $28,600 out the door. The salesman delivered it to our door, and he took our trade-in back to their lot. I was out in the truck last night running my route and was at about the 30 mile mark of 70 miles total. Everything was going great until I heard this loud BANG followed by a loud hissing sound. I immediately pulled over and hit the 4-ways. The engine proceeded to make the hissing sound at idle and got even louder if I pressed down on the gas pedal. So, I shut it down and called roadside assistance on the cell phone. After about 90 minutes, the wrecker got there and hauled it off. I ended up having my supervisor bring me our other truck to finish out my route. The salesman called me mid morning today and said that a line had blown off of the intercooler and it was fixed. He is going to deliver it back to our shop tomorrow morning. I was relieved to find out it wasn't something terribly wrong. The owner was especially discouraged being as the truck only had a little over 400 miles on the clock. I tried to assure him today that everything should be ok. Otherwise, the truck is awesome and is a really impressive performer with a load on it. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before with the NPR's, or is this just a fluke? I will try and get some pictures of it up sometime here soon.
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Was that price with your trade in, or did your trade in take that price even lower?
  3. pottstim

The $28,680 price included the trade-in. We got $4,000 for our '95 Chevy G-30 box truck. Before tax, the price of the truck was $26,700 and some change, so we essentially got the truck for $30,700 without the trade. Our NPR is nicely equipped. It has a/c, cassette stereo, cruise control, 6" spot mirrors, and the 600 watt block heater. I also got the dealer to throw in the Isuzu seat cover kit after we negotiated the price. He agreed to it to help make the sale go through. They are of very nice quality and are actually made of thicker material than the seats in the truck are. I am going to install them tomorrow if it is not raining. If you have any other questions let me know.
  4. pottstim

Well, when I got the truck back friday morning from the dealer I talked with the service manager for a bit. He said when these trucks come over from Japan on the ship, they are perfect. They install all of the accessories on the trucks here in the states. This includes A/C, stereos, cruise control, etc. He told me to be able to install the a/c, the intercooler lines have to be removed. So, more than likely it was someone here in the states that screwed it up. :nono: Sad but true. Everything seems great with the truck now. Hopefully things will stay that way.