Finally happened!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

On yard number 14 today, my only worker wasn't paying attention and threw an object through a customers brand new car window. It's some new foreign '08 model that she's had for 3-4 months. It's going to cost me $400 for his mistake. We did one more then I called an early day. I don't know what to do about the worker. He shows up and is a good hustler, but I have to keep telling him to pay attention, go back and hit this spot you missed, its been over 3 years since I had a customer complaint, now I get a couple of month. Might be time to go back solo.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Only $400 for a new window on a new car, foreign '08 model? Really?

Your explanation does not include how it happened. Did a mower throw a stone? Did a trimmer throw something? You say he was "not paying attention." Does this suggest the object thrown was plainly visible, and he didn't work around it or move it? The specifics on what happened, and why, will play heavily into your question on what to do about the worker.
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Trimming around an electric box, I was about 20 feet away and saw the object (couldn't tell what it was) go flying. Left about a 8x12 inch oval where glass use to be. He claims he didn't see it but it was red, how do you not see red on a green yard?
  4. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 LawnSite Member

If you are color blind, I believe you wont see red on green. Thats the most basic form of color blindness, if I am not mistaken...
  5. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

Well, my old man has always...preached......K.I.S.S....Keep It Simple Stupid! And that is why I continue to work by myself.....I have learned (the hard way :hammerhead:) that employees, bless their lazy little hearts....just do not seem to care :sleeping:, and thus will not pick up the red object, unless it was his paycheck that I had signed in red pen....*trucewhiteflag*
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Windows will get broke it's just part of the business; once a business reaches a certain size one cannot work Solo; furthermore I could not live on Solo wages. Sorry to hear about the broken window, it could have been worse nice dent in the car's sheet metal would make a broken window look cheap.
  8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

What good would making a claim do, I have $500 deductible. And if were pushing anywhere from 8-20 yards per day plus landscaping jobs, it would be very hard to go back to being solo unless I was to work 7 days a week, 10 hours per day. Think I'll tell him the next time he F%$#& UP he can walk home and I'll mail him his check.
  9. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

tell them to file the claim and it won't cost them anything- been there done that. (yes, not even the deductible-tell them to say they came out and it was like that and they won't get charged-call your insurance guy and ask-he'll tell you the same thing)
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to fire myself I guess- I've broken more than one window.