Finally My New Exmark Pioneer S Arrived

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MJB, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut Series 4 with Mulching Kit
    Kohler CV740 ZT 3400 9 mph

I bought this for 1/2 acre to 3 acre lawns. I needed something with a lighter footprint, and more offset for trimside abitlity this mower caught my eye. I will add more pics as I get more seat time, and I'll give a review on its hillside stability and downhill traction.

Anyone know why exmark or any brand uses the skinny tires outfront, advantages or disadvantages. I will probably change the forks and go with the wider 13x6.5 but not before I give these a chance.

7 Gal fuel tank will take a little getting use to depending on how long it will last.

Notice how much offset the deck is for trimming, I have not measured it but looks like 8 inches or more.

003.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

2. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Damn nice mower man. Have fun. Yeah the offset of the deck looks great.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice reminds me of exmarks older machines. smaller framed and more compact. Good choice on the kohler also! I am wondering how bad it will clump with the mulch kit in damp conditions.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck with the new machine mate! Dont know about the fuel filler on the side like that though!

5. MJB

from Wa

It is the same deck I am used too , the series 4 . I doublecut all lawns 1 acre an under it takes a little extra time but as long as I make $40 per hr min per machine Im ok with that. It uses the micro mulch chops it real fine but as much grass as we cut off each time the 2nd pass leaves a crisp clean look.
    I'll have to measure but I think it is 5.5 inches deep which helps a bunch when mulching.

6. MJB

from Wa

Ya I'm hoping it wont leak on hills. I definately will not remove or even loosen the cap if I'm not sitting level. I estimate about 5 hrs run time per tankful I will find out today.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I had those same front tires on my JD Z720 a couple years ago, and I liked them. They rode waaaay better than the run flats that are on many larger ZTR's like the 900's like I have now, or the Exmark X series. In fact, since Deere can't seem to get their act together and get the new flex forks on the market, I've been thinking about getting a set of the ones like you have for my 950. Should be easy to do since that's the exact same tire/wheel combo used for the new 915B up front. IME they didn't scuff nearly as much on turns as the run flats with the ribs that I have now, and they advertise these ribbed tires as being designed to eliminate scuffing. :rolleyes:

Since my 720 w/ 60" was probably in the same weight area as your new machine, try them at about 15 PSI. I went up and down from there a little each way, but always went back to 15 for the best ride without fear of them rolling off the rim going over roots or curbs etc.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't bother changing out forks and front caster wheels, waste of time IMO. The back tires are the ones that will do the rutting.

9. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice man! Breaking in a new mower isn't that enjoyable to me; i'm nervous, cautious, etc. I'm okay after it's broken it.

10. MJB

from Wa

I did it on my Lazer Z AS to smooth out the ride, seemed to help. I have 4 brand new skinny wheels an tires so I will keep these for a while. Today I put my 13 yr old suspension seat on it to make it more comfortable. The other seat leans back to much. I"ll put more info in the review, so far I am very happy with it. Tomorrow the hills will determine how much I like it.