Finally My New Exmark Pioneer S Arrived

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MJB, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

So how is the pioneer doing at this point? Thinking about picking up the 44" version for gated yards. Was quoted $6300. It is down to the gravely compact pro or the exmark pioneer s.

2. Stathem Lawncare

Stathem Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just picked up the 60" one. Love it!!! Thinking about getting another one. Only thing I see is it is a two year mower if you put a lot of hours on it. Just my thoughts though. But for the price they are a great machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mine is doing fine I put a seat kit under it with the suspension platform to smooth out the ride a bit.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Can I ask, what were the symptoms, how was the engine running that you needed new coils?
    My Kawi idles rough when its warm. Goes fine at WOT. Had the valves adjusted (the problem started after the first adjustment) 3 times, new fuel filter, carb cleaned and idle jets (if thats what there called) cleaned and checked. Mechanic cant figure it out!

He spoke with Kawi tech and they mentioned the coils but the mechanic seemed to think it was something else. Any ideas?

5. MJB

from Wa

One way to check the coils is to pull 1 plug wire while it is idling and see if it gets worse. Then put it back on and check the other one. If 1 is not working and you unplug the good one it will die or it will run even rougher. I noticed on mine that the coil did not just quit , it gradually got worse until I replaced it. The mechanic said that rarely happens but I noticed it on 2 different engines. So in my opinion it could be going bad. Pull the plug wire and see if 1 sounds worse than the other, I would replace that one first , then the other.

6. Mickhippy

Bare with me here and sorry for this little thread hi jack.

I just had a quick look. I forget the name of it right now but the wire that charges the battery is connected to a finned sorta (what looks like aluminium. Is it a regulator?) thing attached to the engine. There are 2 white wires plugged onto that same thing. Are they the wires your talking about? There is one plug, 2 white wires next to the battery charge wire. The 2 white wires come from under the engine cover so I assume they are from or going to the coils. I should of taken a pic damit but I assume that if power to the battery goes from the same spot, then power must be going somewhere else ie, the coils! hmmmmm, right? ha

A while ago I had trouble with the battery charging due to a loose connection at that same spot so I just unplugged the white wires and tightened the connection. Did a quick mow, let it idle and it "seemed" to be better. Just a thought but if there was a loose connection, there may not be enough power going to the coils at idle? Right???? Do you think Im on the right track here?

Maybe wishful thinking but if so, at least I may of narrowed the problem. Its been idling cr@p for ages so may of damaged the coils as well.

But, did your engines start idling rough before you figured out it was the coils? As I said, it runs fine at WOT.

I'll take it to the mechanic to look at but it would be great to not look like an entire moron when I do so!

7. MJB

from Wa

Mine ran rough but would clear up at full throttle, but it eventually felt like it was losing power at times, then get better. I was talking about pulling the spark plug wires off 1 at a time. Any loose wire connections should be fixed first. I'm am just a backyard mechanic that figures things out by reading online. Which engine is it ?

8. Mickhippy

If I disconnect a spark plug lead, that will stop that cylinder working wont it? There isnt a single whlte lead, its all one lead.
    I'll probably take it to the mechanic to check the coils properly. Need to take the air filter, cover etc off to have a proper look.

Doesnt matter if your a backyarder or not. I appreciate the heads up. Even if the coils arent the problem, anything we can check is better than nothing so cheers!:drinkup: If its not the issue, I wont hold it against you, much!:hammerhead: (jokin):laugh:

Its the old 37 (35) Kawi.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Mick, the object is- if you have a bad coil and disconnect the plug wire, there won't be much if any difference in how it runs. If the coil is good, the engine will run like crap.

10. MJB

from Wa

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say this morning.