Finally received new Cincinnati laser to build Tedbrakes Mowers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ted corriher, Sep 20, 2012.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Building a better mouse trap is one thing. But convincing the mouse (me the consumer) to walk on one 1 foot and dance like Mikael Jackson is no going to sell me a better mouse trap.

Build a better product and the public will beat a path to your door. All other smoke and mirrors will drive todays savvy consumers away.
  2. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on that, i'm more interested to see how this product line will be supported. I.e. dealers, etc....
  3. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to sound like I am against anyone trying new things. I also have to say I am NOT super brand loyal, I have a few favorites that fit my demands.
    Basely there are just some many hydros out there. With many good commercial motors available to choose from. So the power units in Ztrs are covered when it comes to design.
    Now when it comes to decks there are many good decks, some average and some poor designs are few. Its been my experience one deck to work well in ALL conditions is nearly imposable to achieve. You have wet grass, 4 or 5 different types for grass with different characteristic, deck that work better at hight speed, stamped decks that work in some application. But to build the ultimate deck would in dead be a challenge. But just as many variables listed above are the numerous operators that have a preconceived idea of what is best for them. All this makes for a difficult select group of potential customers.

I would think to build the ultimate deck a wind tunnel/chamber would be needed for testing. Also some kind of programed adjustable deck defectors/baffles to cover the different mowing conditions. I know of others have tried adjustable baffles and some have had good luck. Even the smallest change to the underside of a deck will make a huge change in how it cuts, removes grass from out of the way for the next grass blade, clumping, and grass dispersement.

I have been working on a deck that has no blades, little to no moving parts and will cut any grass at a tremendous speed. A universal replacement deck that can be adapted for the major Z manufactured units. But this is for another post another day.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck. I'm sure if you build a well made product (and people can easily see online that it's well made by comparisons or something), I'm sure you'll have plenty of 'do-it-yourselfer' business - people that are willing to do repairs on their own without dealer support...if the price is right. I might be that type of buyer. As long as the machine is not overly complicated, it should be easy enough to work on at home, just like the previous generation eXmark Lazer Z.
  5. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I sure hope that is not how you presented this to your investors. I have never seen a new product launched without glitches, in any industry - when there are 14 trillion details no one can ever cover them all - that is part of growing a business, you keep improving. Good luck though.
  6. Greyst1

Was hoping to hear from Ted, but i guess his absence speaks volumes. He'll do well as a politician.
  7. Greyst1

Calling on Ted, Ted..... Hello, any updates????
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

He definitely looks like a politician. His website hasn't had an update since April 2011. His "about me" section has this to say about taxes, "Tax breaks for the top one percent and no breaks at all for the rest are stifling the growth that is so very needed today. Funny that the same top one percent with tax cuts approved are the ones voting on the rules for everyone else. Not so funny is the fact that no one seems to be paying attention. Ted wants to change that."

So he creates wealth envy on his page to get votes but has the FairTax.Org logo on his page.:dizzy:
  9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Imagine when these mowers do get built what the service will be like.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't now about you but, I'm not going to find least from an owners perspective.