Finally starting to make money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 5, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Ahhhh. At last. Finally starting to make money mowing lawns. It is a really nice feeling. Now I know for the first time in my life, that unless something really weird and unforeseen happens, I WILL NEVER HAVE A BOSS AGAIN!

I just think that's a wonderful feeling. It feels absolutely great!

I still have an operating loss on the year, but for the last seven days I made $3,500 after payroll and a few non-recurring expenses and other miscellaneous bills. I anticipate reaching break even around June 15th. The reason for the early loss is huge advertising expense. It looks like I'm gonna triple my profits from year two, which were double those of year one.

I will be very disappointed if I don't clear $100,000 mowing lawns next year. I know it is very attainable.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Good for you, nice to see some success stories. can i have some money now? :D

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Uhuh, $100,000 from all of those clowns who want their lawns cut.

From going out of business last year to "clearing" $100,000 this year......................Uhuh.
    :rolleyes:

4. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

How much in sales are you projecting to net $100,000

5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++How much in sales are you projecting to net $100,000++++

Quarter mil.

That breaks down to $7,800 gross per week for 32 weeks. I know it's do-able because we just grossed $7,100 over the last seven days. And I'm still running one man crews on two of the crews. Next spring, we'll ramp those crews to three.

We grossed almost as much in April of '05 as I grossed in my first twelve months as a solo operator in '03. The advice from justmowit is proving to be very sound.

What's even better is this: Now that the spring rush is finally over, I have so much free time. I have basically been watching and betting on baseball, surfing the internet and sleeping til 9:00 all week (the kids are at grandma's house)...and making more money than I ever made as an employee. With the exception of Quickbooks and a few other daily chores, the business is pretty easy to manage.

I'm lucky to have such good employees. I pay them well. I doubt they could leave and make as much anywhere else.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Great for you DFW. :) I enjoy reading your posts and seeing the progress that you are making.

7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Spend less time watching baseball and more time training your employees. You have more complaints than anyone I've ever heard of.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Now you too will be on his ignore list...........He doesn't like the truth....................

9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Probably already am. It just dumbfounds me to wits end when someone has an attitude that it's "just a customer". I will make sure before I leave a property ,if the client is home or available, that the work I performed is satisfactory. Customers don't come a "dime a dozen" to me, maybe other people have to carry a stick to beat the potential customers away, but I don't have that problem. This is how I survive, how I pay bills, and how I eat. I am so appreciative of my customers and do every thing in my power to make them happy.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++Spend less time watching baseball and more time training your employees. You have more complaints than anyone I've ever heard of++++

Our complaint ratio is under 1%. If we were getting too many complaints, there is no way I could forecast the numbers I am because the cancellations would kick in.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper