Finally taking the plunge to accept credit card payments.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ruben Rocha, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Although I only have three customers that ask me to take credit card payments.
    I finally have decided to give it a try.

I just don't know what method to try that works best and of course the least cost.

My bank has merchant accounts.
    I see things such as pay pal.

But what do most of you see as the most common situation to get paid via plastic?
    In the field?
    Online?
    Use a mobile card reader?

I am asking the most remedial question here. So don't beat me up to much.
    It looks to me if I go with all the bells and whistles to accept a couple of payments per month for any situation it would cost several hundred dollars to get started.
    Then the transaction fees.

2. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

I set up with charge.com
    fee's are reasonable.

I only take credit cards, I charge the day after service for both lawn care and snow plowing. Makes life a lot easier, and no more waiting weeks for payment.

3. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Okay but how do you interface with the customer to get the payment?
    If you charge them the day after service. How do you follow up to get a payment.
    Tell them to do what?? to pay you.

4. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

CC #'s on file and simply fills in the blanks himself?
    maybe sends them a receipt after?

5. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Credit card authorization form. Fill in the customers info (some customers have worse handwriting than me), CC #, and the dates payments will be withdrawn (calendar dates, after service is completed, according to contract terms are the 3 methods I use), have them sign and date.

On big jobs I like a second CC, just incase the limit is hit on the first one.

Then plug the information into the program you use and wait for your bucks.

6. nam328i

nam328i LawnSite Member

look into sam's club and costco. i've seen them run promotions on mobile card readers and low fees. they're usually a bargain

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

do an internet search for "credit card processers". find one that you can do over the phone, thats the way i do it. nothing to put out to start, and they charge 2.35% plus 35cents per transaction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

I have one that costs me $6 a month, and 2-3% depending on what type of credit card it is. I do mine over the phone. It seems like renting that credit card equipment is a scam.

9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I have taken cc payments for a few years. I quit using a dedicated machine with monthly fees. I have been quite happy using Google Check Out. No monthly fees and reasonable fees per a individual charge. We just email the client a invoice via Google Checkout and that's it.

10. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

you gotta take CC's anymore..we have the over-the-phone system..lots cheaper than renting a machine which is a gigantic rip off