1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ccstrebe, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

Cat finally came out with a fix for the two main issues I have had with my machine. Cabin filter and air filter getting clogged in a very short time in dusty conditions.

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

They look... ehhh...

but do they work?
  3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

the one for the cabin filter looks like a snorkel for a truck.. and frankly it looks cheap and out of place..
  4. ccstrebe

When they told me a year ago that they were working on a snorkle I wondered how they would do it. There is not much clearence between the cab and boom. They did an excellent job. The whole assemblly is well built and they even improved on how the new cover seals against the filter.

As far as how it looks, I could care a less what it looks like as long as it works. And it works great. I used it in very silty conditions for a couple of hours yesterday and checked the cabin filter after I was done and it was clean as a whistle.

The biggest problem before with the cabin filter was that the intake grill was right next to the tracks and the tracks would throw the silty dirt into the intake grill and the filter would clog up quickly.
  5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

on the outside air filter, that's a little different than the snorkel they gave me. For the guys who work in the woods, I wonder how long it would last with branches and such when the boom arms are up?
    The engine air filter seems like a good idea but what about heated material going the other way? There is suction in the air filter. Seems like on idle, the engine could pull more air through the exhaust or is that a one way valve I see? Interesting idea, though.

I am glad I didn't wait that long, though, for a final fix to the same issues. My 272c was purchased 4-08... I do miss a lot about that machine but not the dust.
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

CASE has had the engine air filter system like that since at least 06. The snorkle thing really looks cheap, but I guess if it works thats all that matters.
  7. ccstrebe

I guess in the picture the snorkle looks a little weak but in person it is well built, the plastic material is at least 1/4" thick.

The snorkle was designed to bolt directly onto the mesh of the cab at three locations but since I cut all of that out, the Cat tech made those two straps to mount it to the cab. I am always the first one to modify something if I don't like the way it is designed but that snorkle is mounted solidly enough that I am contemplating cutting that third mounting tab off of the snorkle so that it doesn't look unfinished.
  8. ccstrebe

I do believe it is some type of one-way valve.
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if the Aspirator that CAT uses is the same CASE uses, the Donaldson air filter assembly is the same. The aspirator system is awesome. I changed out my air filter this Spring on my 440 which does all the rock raking (very dusty), I got 500 hours out of the filter I just replaced. The aspirator is that effective.
  10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Looks really good to me, I bet they have something like that for the B series too, I can see that snorkel working for the B's, unless you flip the filter to the inside of the cab and seal off the outside opening.