Finaly some rain

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AI Inc, Apr 27, 2008.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Well Sunday AM here. Finaly raining for first time since season started. This will slow the phone down to be managable. Now all those people with an "irrigation emergency" will not bother calling untill it hits 80 again.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. Cold and snowy for part of yesterday. Cold today and tonight. Only 5 calls yesterday which is very low for a Saturday. Usually it is filled with "I tried to start my system and there is a crack in the pipe" calls.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Had a few customers hesitate turn-ons yesterday due to the slight cold snap last night. Nice now, 9am

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had two yesterday that we re-scheduled. help out anyway. One tech was finishing up a 12 zone manifold rebuild!! Only two valves broken, but all the tees were shot. And guess what (cough... Bootsie), we didn't have to dig anything up.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Next time, winterize... :hammerhead:

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I can't force every person to winterize the damn things. That's like your mechanic forcing you to get an oil change. But he'll happily over charge you to rebuild your engine. :) Not my fault they broke it. And he knows it.

7. Wet_Boots

I still don't see any advantage to constructing breakable-by-neglect assemblies in a way to simplify reconstruction necessitated by neglect. Screwups can pay for their neglect, and I have no interest in seeing them get a discount.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well to make it not happen again, I had my tech put in an auto drain instead of a manual drain. so there....

Even with your manifolds, if it is not drained or blown out it should break. and if they do not have you do it, it is there fault. Not yours, not mine. I send out 2000 postcards to the people in my customer list reminding them to shut down and drain, or have us blow it out. I have many customers that just shut down and drain themselves, no auto drains in the yard, and all is fine year after year. I do not hand hold or baby sit people. They have a service or need, they call us. This particular system we did minimal work to two summers ago.

Of the people in our list, these are people we have worked for over three years. I weed out customers after three years if they haven't used our services. Some I have worked on for 10+ years, others are a one time shot. This does not include the customers for the other landscape companies that sub to us. They mail to them and keep them as their customers.

Officially hijacked....

9. Wet_Boots

If someone made a foolproof "freeze plug" kind of drain, I'd install them, but even with car engines having freeze plugs, you still get cracked blocks.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I like about the auto (King) drains. I used to hate them, but anytime we rebuild a manifold, we now put one on the end instead of a manual drain. I don't want to rebuild the same 12 station manifold twice.