finder's fee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 16, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if you yourself can not do a job,( or don't want to do a job) and you give it to a friend who does, do you expect a finder's fee, or % of the job? i'm not talking subbing it out. you just give them a paver job, sod, planting, etc. what % would be expected if any? that goes both ways, if someone gives you the job, what would you expect to give them?

I've given a friend a paver job, and have more on the way. he told me he's going to throw me $$$$, and to send them all his way. I don't do pavers. he's happy, i'm happy, my customer will be happy. and i don't lift a finger!! so I'm happy again.

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I do this a lot b/c I know a lot of people and can not handle all the work. Most Guys give me 10% or $100 which ever is greater

3. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i have a landscape company that gives me a 10% finders fee.

4. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I'd say 10% of profit. You can't expect a finders fee on materials. I did a 6,000 sq' paver job last summer. Labour was approx $10,000 but there was $25,000 worth of stone and $5000 in other materials. 10% of the whole job would have been $4000 which would have left me having only $6000 to pay my labour etc with and I would have ended up paying him to let me do the work. I gave the guy who went me the job $1000 and he was more than happy and is now actively looking for work to send my way.

5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

true. good point.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. I trade work with a few guys. Like fertilizer work. Since I don't have a license. In return I get a lot tractor work send my way.