Finders Keepers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Nov 9, 2005.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In the last 3 months I've found 6 shovels on my job sites. I let them sit there for a week, then take them. I think most of them are from contractors who just forgot about them. I've never found any shovels until this year.

shovels.jpg

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Nice collection Bob. The scoop shovel is probably the most expensive. Unless you know who left the tools, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I left a tool behind, would figure the cost of the gas and time to go back and retieve it, and compare that to the purchase cost. Might just get a new one if I was already near a big box or harware store.

I'm solo and have a pre-flight check before pulling away from a job site. It is so natural now it that seems like it was choreographed, but if I'm behind, sometimes it gets neglected.

First gas purchase in Jan. was at 174.9 but the last was 269.9, down from 309.9 about six weeks ago. Gas is a REAL cost.

BTW right after Katrina hit you couldn't buy a scoop shovel or pitch fork for about 5 weeks. None to be had.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hey...I was wondering where my tools went :)

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Shovel poor.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like Bobby must be stalking you.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see....I had employees lose nice edging shovels, weedwackers, tarps, oh and the grand finale....a 36" mower on a jobsite.....we got the mower back though.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of times what it boils down to is that the guy leaving it ain't the guy who bought it.:realmad:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wild !!!

I have a collection of golf balls...
    Never did figure out where they come from...
    The few lawns I have that ARE near a golf course is, of course, NOT where I found the golf balls...
    But after a year or so, they stopped coming to me ...

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

shovels, hammers, rakes, twenty foot aluminum extension ladder.....yadda, yadda, yadda

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I find a nice pair of Craftsman Robo Grips, a little rusty but work great. I kept them because I was po'd that they were lying in the yard (next to the street like they had fallen off a truck or something) and if I hadn't happened to see them, they would have definitely tore something up.