Finders Keepers????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Jul 13, 2006.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

When you find something in a lawn that you may be able to use do you pick it and keep it or do you just move it and leave the item?

for example: Today at an appartment complex I found a perfectly good DC cell phone charger and I already have one but I thought to myself "I could always use another one for in the Bobcat or for the camaro and if I don't pick it up it might be there next week". Well I kept it and I don't feel bad about at all.
    I find all sorts of things like this but I usually only keep it if I could possibly use it myself and I never keep items from a residential yard.
    Where do you draw the line???

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

if its in someone elses yard its not mine. do you take your clients barbecues?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If it is found in a place like that. I would have told the apartment manager of my find and put up a call to identify notice in the laundry or rec room. If no calls identified it I would keep it.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I took a truck mudflap that was laying on one of the entrances of a trucking depot I mow. Doesn't count as anything of value really I think, it was technically trash, so I tossed it in the bed of the truck and I'm going to use it as a stripe flap. Commercial places don't care what you do I think. If its at a home...odds are the homeowners just miss placed it and I'd leave it.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

im going to return it the next time i mow. they are gone for a couple weeks and i wanted to have a big party.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if its left in the yard its thrown under there deck so the kids cant leave it in the yard again :hammerhead:

7. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Golf balls come with me.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I've taken a chewbacca figurine and a superball from commercial lawns.

Kids hate me.

9. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I've found a total of around $30-40 on a big commercial property at the edge of the parking lot and I've kept it. My dad has found $10-20 at this same property. It really pays to mow here! If on owners property then it's theirs. On commercial, depending on what the item is, then I remove it or keep it. The only thing I really find is money. Found $2 at a bank once. Most everything else I find is trash so I give it back to them to put in the dumpster.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I found $280 at a commercial property that I mow. Actually I was there in the winter picking up trash adn thats when I found it. Had been laying there for awhile cause it was all muddy and the bills were scattered all over the property.