1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding a foreman

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have decided to have add a foreman to take over my crew. I do 95% maintenance. I am thinking of paying someone 10-12 dollars an hour or possibly 8 dollars and a bonus depending on how productive they are. But my real question is, from your experiences what is the best way of finding a foreman? Newspaper ad? any other ideas?
  2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

your going to pay a foreman that? good luck finding someone to work for that cheap. especially a foreman.
  3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know what part of country ur from but around these parts, that's laborer pay rate
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I believe that is the going rate here. I know of several companies that pay their foremen 9-12 dollars an hour. By foreman, I mean drive the truck and do mostly mowing accounts.
  5. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

I offered $13hr with NO calls
    I tried collage newspaper/web site
    My friend went to firestations and talked to the guys and he hired two firemen. One works two days and the other works the other three.
    I might try it....
  6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Not enough dough dude, Not nowaday. I think you need to start with $14 and go from there.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Good luck...................I would like to find a good worker (period) at that rate. Labor is a major pain for me. The one I have now has 1. Bent the front edge on my tractor bucket. :realmad: 2. Bent the back side of my loader bucket. :angry: 3. Lost a pin and digger of my boxblade. :dizzy: 4. Broke the steering cylinder on my tractor. :cry: 5. Today...the transmission on my F-350 went out while he was driving it. Empty. :mad:

I just laugh to keep from crying. :D
  8. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

well the bucket would be an easy fix if you have a torch. just heat it red hot and beat it back into shape
  9. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

I am currently a foreman in PA, it might be different where you are from, but I know that I wouldnt do it for anything close to what you are looking to pay. I wouldnt accept less than $15.00/hr with really nice bonuses throughout the year. I would be careful of people that would take less money b/c you are putting alot of trust in them. Your foreman can control how much profit you can make by how fast he can do lawns. Thats why my advice is pay someone what they are worth, thats why paying top $ is required for a foreman b/c if he doesnt deserve top $ then he shouldnt be a foreman. Just my 2 cents....

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The two I have currently make $20/hour and I pay 1/2 their major medical year round...they get a raise this year to $22.50