1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding a good part time or full time employee?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sgl41377, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I have been working solo for about 3 years and grossed $17,100 in 2006. I have a large commercial account, a small commercial account, and about 13 great residential customers. In 2006 I used a 16 year old kid from my church and some day laborers. This year, I would really like to hire someone to help my part time to full time depending on the work load. I can probably afford to pay $10-12 an hour. Where do I start looking? I could easily pick up a day laborer for all my needs but do not know the legality of that. The 16 year old was not very responsible, showed up late, not at all, or made excuses after committing to working. PLEASE HELP ME FIND GOOD HELP.
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You can look to Job Corp but that is not a great long term solution.

If you have a spanish paper place an ad there.

Be aware, it will cost you plenty of money and rules once you hire someone unless you go under the table. Using 1099 will not help you in a PINCH.
  3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Labor Ready will charge you 12-14 an hour around here. You just pay them. They provide the worker, medical, payroll and taxes.
  4. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry, am I missing something? How the heck do you only gross 17k by yourself in one year? Let alone you also had 'laborers'? do you mean to type 170k?
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yep. good in a real pinch. Provided you have good credit.
  6. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Do the work yourself. Everyone wants to have helpers. Why? Get up and do it yourself. I gross $120,000 a year just in mowing, in Iowa.
  7. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I have the lawn service co to support my family. My wife is a college student and I cut grass to make ends meet for the time being. I would like to continue cutting grass when she is finished. I work another job at night. I need a helper in order to finish all my work in two to three days.
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Go to nurseries, gas stations, outdoor stores.............anywhere you go, look around you at who is working. See a prospect, talk them "how you like work'n here". If they say how much it sucks and all teh ways they cheat hte clock then keep moving. If they have a head on their shoulders (and a brian in it) find out what they make..........maybe come back later, offer them the idea and more $. Chances are they're making close to bottom dollar.

Its what I do anyway. Always testing people at places I go..........kinda like fish'n. When I'm ready to hire I'll just add the bait.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Best bet is, hire someone to be full-time...then after they show up late, call in sick and ask to leave early, they essentially will be part-time :laugh:

No easy answer to this one, you just have to search high and low, like thomas said always be on the lookout for a prospect. Newspaper ads just seem to attract people you wouldn't want to ride around in a truck all day with...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Either use a temp agency, or do it right and put an ad in the Classifieds 'Help Wanted' section.

Be prepared to interview at least 10 people for every 1 employee.
    Here's how it works:

Say you need 1 employee.
    Accept 10 phone calls and unless any of them sound bad or wrong off the bat, tell all 10 of them to show up for an interview (one at a time, space it out).
    Interview them all (one at a time lol).
    You can eliminate some prospects right then, the rest you tell them all to show up Monday morning at 8am.
    By monday morning, a few more will have been eliminated (no shows).
    By lunch, one or two may have disappeared, after lunch maybe another.
    By quitting time, one or two more may say adios.
    Meanwhile, you may decide one or the other isn't all that...
    And by Tuesday (wednesday at the latest), you have your one employee.