Finding a new fertilizer supplier?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by sawdust, Jan 23, 2005.

1. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

Need help finding a new chemical supplier in Indpls., IN area other than Lesco. I need to change suppliers. Lesco products are great but their customer service sucks. Any help would be appreciated.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we had the same problem with lesco.

try john deere landscapes.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you define what you mean by bad customer service?

4. YardPro

not delivering product when promised
    not correcting billing errors
    not responding to problems with products
    taking 3-4 weeks to get a delivery
    also they flip floped manufacturers of thier weedeaters/blowers, etc. and parts were a major hassle.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey YardPro, that is not good. I guess I have been lucky so far. You would think they would have reliable customer service no matter where they are located.

6. try some of the farm co-op's in the area we have, same chemicals better prices.

7. YardPro

the problems started when they started splitting routes, and we went through a few semi drivers.

there territory here is really spread out. not many LCO's use them, and there are only a few golf courses here. I think they were just spread too thin

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most golf courses don't buy from just one supplier. Introduce yourself to the super and ask him of other suppliers in the area. Most National suppliers will direct you to the closest salesman in your area. Are you up to buying a pallet a round? Some suppliers don't want to mess with the small guy. A Lesco shortcomming.

9. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I used Prosource1 in Iowa and the guy was great. I dont know how far one is from your area, but check their website and ask for the closest salesguy. Their products were good, and cheaper that Lesco (at least in Iowa). He would always come out if I had a question. Cant promise your sales guy will be this helpful, but worth a try.

10. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

A fertilizer supplier iso nly as good as their sales guy.

Check them out. IN my area, Some of the Lesco guys are helpful -- and some are not. I have a very knowledgeable person I do most of my business with that works for Prosource One. I also do some buiness with US Turf.