Finding a Nitch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnangel1, May 24, 2006.

1. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

First post on here so please be kind. I live in a city where there is a lawn care company on every corner. I currently work for a company that has found a nitch in doing high end apartment complexes and is doing very well in that venture. I think the only way to have a successful lawn care company in my city is to find some sort of a nitch I think I have found mine ...CHURCHES my dad is a pastor and i feel i could have a lot of connections throughout the city. Most churches around here seem to be a simple mow blow and go that i could handle very easily with my scag wildcat. Just wondering if anyone has done any work for churches in the past? Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Small church = small congregation, odds are no LCO in the church but also very small budget. Read "pay is not good"
    Big church = Big budget -YES, oh, but wait, big church also means 3-4 LCO already in the church and willing to donate time at cost to cut the church. Read "pay is not good"

Get on knees- pray for inspiration of another niche

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I picked up a church this year doing just a new garden section they added last fall, they have an in-house guy do the rest of the grounds but have me do inside the garden walls. I plan on approaching them about doing the rest of the grounds later this year. They pre-paid the entire year which helps with cashflow at the start of the season.

4. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I forgot to mention I am already doing 1 church with 2.3 acres of grass for 185 a week. (the director of the grounds comittee told me I was 1 of 3 companys that bid) if church accounts were BID and treated as normal commercial accounts it seems to me a weeks worth of these could be very profitable.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I must be missing something here as it has not been my experience that donation-based organizations are anything but tight with the little bit of money they (supposedly) have... Because I've given one or two estimates at a church and lets just say that $60 for one acre was the most outrageous thing they had ever heard of.

6. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

the word is "niche"