Finding a someone to work for

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PxPx, Jan 17, 2006.

1. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

I read a post the other day, and one person suggested working for a reputable company first, just to get the hang of things, then trying it on your own. Well, this might be the best option for me. So my question is this. Does anyone know of a place that I could look at into getting a job in the lawn care industry? Would HotJobs or Monster.com work? I did work for a tree trimming company for about 3 years (loved it!), I think I might need to do this first hand before I make the big decision of going into business for myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

there is a forum for that here, ask around in that section, mention where your are at, someone might help you out:)

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

look in the classifieds in the local papers about 1 month before mowing season begins. Then start filling out apps.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

You could always apply online with the larger companies like Brickman, Trugreen, Scott's, etc. Most of the larger companies have a jobs section on their websites.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Go to the network forum in the business section or employment section and find someone near you. You're already here so why not? You can also check out the companies mentioned as well. Most companies are looking for people all the time.

6. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I posted one in the job section, and not even ten minutes went by, some guy emailed me! He lives in my area also. I was thinking it would take a couple weeks to get a response, nope. I was thinking about the classifieds, but I have never had any luck finding a job through my local classifieds.

P.S.

GO BRONCOS!!!

7. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

since you are in parker try Colorado Green Grass or Ketlesons. They are huge and have good equipt to learn on. A memeber here by the name of cochino12 is also in the parker area. I am only a 1 man crew at this time but next year I might be looking. There is a ton of stuff/lawn care/landscapers out of parker so just get in the book and go. Give me a call if you have any questions and good luck.
    Shawn
    303 619-3917

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If you like tree trimming try Bartletts I think that is the name they are a national co and have put on some good educational seminars here in town. You will certainly make more money climbing trees than cutting grass. The Arborist certification is not a bad test to have to pass and is as good as a collage degree in the tree industry. Go Broncos, GO JAKE

9. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

I was supposed to get me arborist certification when I worked for the tree company, but some problems arose that I could not control. I was also going to get Tree Workers Certified. Thanks for the posts again. And actually, cochino12 contacted me about 10 min after I posted in the other forum. I might start working for him in March. Wish me luck guys!