1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding an Accountant

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Mar 8, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I have decided to search for an accountant. I called 5 different accountants. I figured I would go and talk to them, and see how comfortable I feel with each different one. Unfortunately I really don't know what questions I should ask them.

I had my first "interview" today. We discussed her doing my payroll, and basically her cost structure.

She charges $35 a month for doing payroll for 1-3 employees. Is this a typical price? Seemed pretty darn cheap for me. She told me that basic questions were free....but when they got more into the particulars of my company it costed.

I don't believe she is a cpa...since it didn't say anywhere that she was. Is a cpa a necessity for a small landscaping firm? This accounting firm had a really crappy office, and she didn't seam to run a really tight business. She seamed pretty willing to give out free information.

I will check out the other 4. Any suggestions?
  2. I use quickbooks for payroll and IF you have every thing set up right and updated you won't have any problems, but like I said you have to have every thing enterd right.
  3. pennypincher

pennypincher LawnSite Member

You dont have to be a CPA to do payroll. I do payroll for several business and have never felt I knew any less than CPAs as far as payroll and basic accounnting. I do have a degree but am not a CPA. Set it up so this accountant not only does your employees but also gets the 941s which you file every quarter and 940 which is done annually. Let the accountant how much info you need about your business. When to file estimates on yourself and go ahead and set it up so this person does your tax return as well. Get this person involved and you stay involved. Ask questions. The more you find out about what she is doing the better off you and she and your business will be. Dont throw checks and invoices and expenses in an envelope and throw it in her office and leave. Take time(when you can) ask and learn.