1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding bagged urea

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bobby G, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Bobby G

Bobby G LawnSite Member

My brother had terrific results on his 2-acre lawn putting down urea he purchased in 50-pound bags. (I'm thinking 1 bag = 12,500 sq ft.) Then he controlled weeds with a tow sprayer and Weed-B-Gone or less expensive, generic 2-4-d. I want to do the same.

Any ideas where I can buy urea in bags (46-0-0) in Chester County, PA?

Any any suggestions for:
    a good liquid broadleaf weed killer?
    crabcrass pre-emergent?

Will appreciate any advice from the pros.

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Urea is available at any farmer's co-op store(the places where farmers buy their chemicals and fertilizer).

Urea is a hot, fast release nitrogen mix and is normally used in the late fall only. 1 bag in the fall covers 18-23K square feet at 1.25/1.0 pounds respectively nitrogen/K. If used in the summer can burn up a lawn and in spring you will be mowing every other day. In the spring use very little nitrogen something along the lines of 8-15% nitrogen that is SLOW release.

For chemical as a homeowner I would use 2/4-d bought from a farm store such as TSC/Rural King/Orschelin's. The crabgrass preventer you might have to get from a Lowe's or Home Depot, you should be able to find 2/4-d there also but it costs more in a smaller container as well.

If there is a Lesco store nearby you can find everything there as well as more detailed advice.