Finding Commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by brycesepp, Aug 28, 2013.

1. brycesepp

brycesepp LawnSite Member

i really want to get into commercial maintenance, what is the best way to find accounts? talk to the owners of different places?

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not as great as you'd think. I love residential!

3. brycesepp

Better money in commercial?

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

all depends... most commercial are loyal to the lowest bidder, unless it's a local company and you can get in and get established with the owner. Upper middle class and high end residential is where you can make a lot of money in little time and earn customers for life.

5. brycesepp

That makes sense. I have just seen a lot of people in my area become really sucessful off commercial accounts

6. gcbailey

from WV

There is nothing wrong with commercial accounts I personally look at it this way. Commercial accounts pay our bills, residential accounts is where we make our money.

You get started in a decent sub-division and do excellent work, soon enough others will see it and want to "keep up with the Jones'" There's also a certain element of pride to be able to make someone's property look good enough that others are "jealous" of it.

7. brycesepp

I can agree with you there.

8. gcbailey

from WV

as far as actually "finding" commercial accounts. Call and find out who the property managers are, send letters telling what your company can offer, ask to place bids on the property, just get out there... One thing about it though, if you aren't legal, legit and have insurance don't expect much.

9. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

Best way to get commercial accounts? Cut lots of residential accounts.

Sooner or later you pick up a residential account for someone who manages a property, or is married to a property manager or owns a strip mall or invested in his second Cousin's apartment complex or whatever. Do a good job, make the Customer happy, and they will find you.

10. brycesepp

Thanks for the advice guys!