Finding Commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by brycesepp, Aug 28, 2013.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Years past commercial was where the money was. Now depending on where in the USA you are the money can be better in residential.

I do not prefer commercial or residential. I prefer good paying customers.

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Just like 32vld said, all depends what part of the US you are in. My area is OK I guess, not the greatest but not the worst. Some areas are really hard to get into commercial due to the fact that there are already a ton of big commercial companies. Its hard to get a big property to trust a small/new company. You can lowball all you want but a property manager will know right away you have no experience. If they ask you what other commercial properties you manage and you don't have an answer you are toast.
    In my area its not about who is the lowest bidder its about who can manage the property the best at a fair price.

I think the easiest way to get into commercial is to work your way up. Start off real small with a dentist office, or a flower shop. Any small office building where you will work directly with the owner. Give it time and a handful of those accounts and slowly go after bigger properties. A property will feel safe hiring a company that manages similar properties to their own.

3. brycesepp

brycesepp LawnSite Member

Right now i only have one commercial account and its a church, a pretty big account though.. One cut is $75..

4. SRT8

from CA

There you go, market out to other churches.

5. brycesepp

I am going to ask permission to put a little sign out front that says "property mainted by Grounds Control Landscapes" with my number and what not.. Its on a very very busy road..

6. SRT8

from CA

go knock on other churches' doors. Don't wait for work to come to you, go out and get it.

7. brycesepp

Will do man.

8. brycesepp

bid on 2 commercial properties today... also bid on a 20 yd driveway and sidewalk and meeting a guy at about 5 to bid on a sod install job.

9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Do you need to have commercial license for this?

10. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

Licensing for maintenance depends on where you are located down from the state to the city/county you work in. Currently in Virginia the state does not require any license for maintenance (Its kinda a grey area here). Virginia does require contractors licensing for landscape installation and such even though many people still do get away with residential unlicensed. I think its New York, license is required to do maintenance. It is smart to check, fines can be big IF you do get caught with your pants down unlicensed.