Finding decent employees does newspaper work well?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stinky rodent, Mar 26, 2005.

1. stinky rodent

stinky rodent LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

One of my 4 employees of 7 years just left to finish college - have any of you had luck in the newspaper help wanted section or do you have a better venue? And no I dont want to hire a kid from down the road or my friends son - that ususally ruins friendships down the road.
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The paper .... is expensive .... least here +$300 for 5 day ad .... gets' phone calls n all ...but in the long run .... gettin em word of mouth or from present workers is the best

It's hard loosen one with 7 years (wow!) .... I just lost a good one with 2 years (moved back to KY) .... but he knows he has a job here if he comes back

Good Luck
  3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

stinky, i've had some success with newspaper ads for hiring, but definitely prefer referrals. you might prepare yourself for some interesting "candidates". the first thing i ask is "do you have a driver's license?" and then "would you have any problem submitting to a background check?". it's unbelievable how many people hang up immediately. that's definitely a time saver.

and before anyone yells about giving people with records a chance, it has nothing to do with that. if they hang up without any questions or explanations, it tells me enough about their character if they simply hang up.

my fav was the guys who said "yeah, but it was only felonious assault at work, but it was seven years ago, so that doesn't count now, right?". he apparently had his statute of limitations views a bit twisted.
  4. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

LOL... i love it....
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I had moderate success with the news paper it was quite expensive though. I believe it was around 700 for a little over a week. I got a fair amount of resumes by fax but a majority of them did not fit the discription. I ended up not highering any one form the paper add but insted asked around at my church and friends if they knew of anyone. Turned out to be the best decision I had ever made. I do not, howeve, hire close friends or family it just causes problems in the long run. I hire friends of friends and such, I would ask your current employees if they know anyone that needs work and is reliable. This is what I did this year and I hired on 2 new employees from recomendations from current employees. So far so good!