Finding depth using 521 locator

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TTM42, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I read in the directions that you can find out the depth of a wire using the 521 by doing something at a 45 degree angle or something that I didnt quite grasp. If anyone can explain how this works I would appreciate it.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

1) Find the null
    2) Place the tip of the receiver on the ground, keep turning the volume down to find the exact null.
    3) Piviot the receiver 90 degrees to the wire path.
    4) Lower the head of the receiver 45 degrees. The head is the part in your hand, the tip is on the ground.
    You will no longer be hearing a null. Rather, you are hearing a peak response.
    5) Move the receiver away from the wire path, all the while maintaining that 45 degree stance.
    6) When the null reappears you measure the distance between null number 1 and null number 2. That distance equals the depth.

As a side note:

Target accuracy can be verified by measuring depth on both sides of the wire path.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the the receiver coil is positioned so that it is at a 45-degree tilt, you can approach the (already marked) cable from the side (the line of your approach will be at a right angle to the cable) and when you hear the null, the distance of the receiver coil from the cable path will equal the burial depth of the cable. This comes by way of basic geometry.

4. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the quick response!

5. azsprinker

azsprinker LawnSite Member

It took me a few times to figure out how to use the 521 locator as well. If only instruction manuals could be more straight forward like 1idejim and web_boots instructions were. But why would they do that?!

6. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I know what you mean and thats why I appreciate their quick answers :)