finding dumping sites

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Watcher, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

I guess the time has come... I now need to find a site to dump debris (grass, branches and leaves) as they are building more and more new houses with grass from property line to line. In the past I got away with dumping on the customers property, in the woods. I have tried calling the townships and asking them if they know any place to dump. They all seem to have their own yards they use for sping and fall cleanups. Does anyone know of places to dump in central New Jersey? I work primarly in Watchung and Warren (Somerset County). I know they truck the garbage over 40 miles to Pennsylvania around here, and I would really like to avoid hauling that far. Any ideas or suggestions on where I can look?

Lawn Watcher
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hi, im in east brunswick. we cant find a dump that will accept grass any longer. there are some props that must be bagged, no way around it, but we tell the client the grass belongs to him/her. there is one place here for brush/stumps/leaves, very reasonably priced, but too far for u to travel im sure. good luck
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

our dump here charges $9.60 per square foot of debris. unbelievable. Luckily I have my own 2 acres to dump on.
  4. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Watcher

Try the Forum " Network with people from your area "

It will probably get you further than here.
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why not just start your own compost facility? Either with a few other LCO's or just on your own property. Compost your leaves, sod, clippings, and whatever else. Bring in a screener every now and again, and then sell the stuff back to clients.
  6. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

local farmers are sometimes inclined to take leaves and grass. i do this, and find it to be easy and cheap, i have used him for a long time. try this if you don't own property.
  7. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

check with your mulch yards. this is what they make mulch with
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So you can pull them off before you take stuff "for a ride in the county"

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LOL...ahhh...that brings back memories:D
  10. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I would suggest to the clients that require bagging to (start their own compost pile or contaner) or have you start it and have you maintain it.

If they accept it sound like a good add on service for $$

Just a suggestion! Little Guy:blob2: