Finding employees/small companies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green430, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Green430

Green430 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone else out there has problems finding good help?. If you don't, what do you do to attract potential workers, I have tried newspapers, friend, etc. I am a small company with only two employees, and I went through 6 different guys last year for various reason, not showing up on time, work ethic, or they had a rock on they're shoulders. I was paying my guys 10 an hour on average, I would pay more if I found the guy. What do you all average as a wage for a laborer?Could use some good ideas. Thanks

Semper FI:blob4:
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

One aspect which I found help with the absenteeism and the late shows were to hire laborers that were over 25 and that had a stable homelife of some sort.

If you have a guy who has mouths to feed at home and not his jack appetite your probably going to find an employee that you can possibly groom in the future if he sticks it out.

You can do little things like grill at the shop once a month when you finish earlier than expected or have a rain delay that cuts a friday short.

Gift Certificates for their birthdays at their fav establishment/eatery helps say thanks as well. The guys and gals want to feel that they are a part of a team and that their input/sweat equity is appreciated.

If you set out goals for them to achieve, or in-house competitions this can also increase productivity and weed out any slackers as HE'S costing the team their bene's!!