1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding Employees - Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fakie99, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Its not the economy coming back,,, its the ENTITLEMENTS moving forward... why should I do physical labor and have most of my money taken out in taxes,,, when I can have just as much "take home pay" by doing nothing but filling out papers for gov't handouts...
  2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I hear you smallaxe.... I honestly hate to say it but I am very, very afraid that this is exactly what is happening. It gets to be a problem when you have 2 sometimes 3 generations of a family that have gone this route. The kids growing up in these situations see that hey Mommy and Daddy are home watching T.V and eating cheetos everyday and we just get our "magic" check in the mail. Why does Joey down the street have a Daddy that goes to work and comes home tired everyday when our Daddy plays with us all day? Look at England man, there are 3rd and 4th generation welfare families over there... And get this... the ones who have been on the dole the longest.... Get the largest homes! Sure, still in the "projects" but a lot nicer than some of the places that we live in....
  3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

True but sad story! I'm having a hard time finding people too. One of my old workers even said to me, "I'm looking for a job with less work and more pay"... This after I offered him a raise of about $4/hr. People think they are too high and mighty to work hard after a certain time in their life. That type of attitude really bothers me.
  4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We have had a problem hiring also. Offering great pay but very few applicants.

When interviewing a number of them it appears that welfare in Minnesota is paying over 40k per year. One person who applied said she and her husband have two kids and are getting over 80k per year.

I am having a hard time competing with the government [​IMG]
  5. Runner777

Runner777 LawnSite Member

Look into hiring X Infantry soldiers. For the most part they have great work ethics and can run all day in the heat!
  6. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Amen to that Runner777. I have never served but have nothing but respect for those who have and I would definitely rather hire someone who has protected my freedom and kept me safe and my family over some bum... Also, I love that avatar there Runner777... I am a Walker guy myself but I LOVE Navigators too... That's like a really cool fish eye effect..
  7. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love them gobment handouts! Watch how fast that changes if and when a republican gets elected again!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a girl leading my install crew, best move I ever made!
  9. cpllawncare

Anydody that had a combat arms MOS would be good in my book! I was a 19K320 best of the best.
  10. cpllawncare

I just fired a 23 yr old, that thought he was too good to work, and wanted to show up just whenever the mood hit him.