Finding Employee's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Aug 17, 2008.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I have been having a lot of trouble finding anyone that will stay working longer than 2 months at the max. I am trying to grow in business but it is impossible to do without help. I run the lawn service an work offshore, so I am struggling trying to do all this. My dad helps me when he isnt working but I just need to know how some other lawn services go about finding good help. Some do's an dont's of hiring help is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone I talk to has the same problem. I advertise in the newspaper and get a ton of calls, all of them very interested. I tell them to come in to the shop for an interview/appl. and maybe 1/3 show up. I hire the so called experienced workers, who haven't got a clue. I usually find decent workers by the fall and then can't afford to keep them over the winter.

I think that I'm going to have to struggle this way until I can afford to keep the workers year around and pay them better. I think I can attract and keep better workers that way. Until then I just keep going through workers.

3. GriffinLawnService

Well thanks for the suggestions on that. I think that I am going to try that out. I have got to try something. This is getting bad.

4. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Go to your local authentic Mexican Restaurant "not Toco Bell" and talk to the owner he will almost always have extra brothers and cosins who need work. I did this 10 years ago and i have never ran out of Good labor help since.

5. GriffinLawnService

I have plenty of mexican restaurants around here that I could hit up so I just may do that to. How did it work out for you? I mean are they good employees.

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Just find out where the day laborers hang out. I've had great luck with day laborers and they usually end up being great workers.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Your post said you have trouble keeping people more than 2 months. What is the reason they give for leaving or do you give up on training and fire them after 2 months?

8. GriffinLawnService

Well the first guy left because school started an he said that he didnt want to work an go to school. The second guy left because of better job which i can not blame him plus he is my brother in law so I still get some work out of him ha. An the third guy's girlfriend had a baby an get this he said he had to quit because he had to take care of her. I asked him how he could take care of her without a job an he replied he had his parents for money. I was like ok then

9. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Skip the day laborers.

Go to McDonalds, taco bell whatever.

Take a book a this could take a while. Buy a drink and sit in a corner where you can see the counter and backline.

Find the best guy in the place and offer him a real wage and a future.

10. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: