1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

finding employees!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanother7, May 31, 2004.

1. americanother7

americanother7 LawnSite Member

I cut nearly 85 lawns a week, I have someone trimming for me on mondays and thursdays, on these days, I have my very nice lawns, my friend that helps me out is awesome. He does everything perfect, I never have to tell him to do anything, he is self motivated, and willing to work. He has another job, and I can't get him away from it. I have had another friend helping me the other 3 days a week, but he stopped showing up, I have been jumping from friend to friend, to find out who is able and willing to work. I know that mixing friends and work is not usually a good idea, but I pay them under the table, and I don't want to put an ad out in the paper just yet, because I am not officially a business yet.(no payroll)
    Any suggestions on finding some good workers!!!

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

try printing up some flyers and put them around shops and stores, or some other public place, in your neighborhood.
  3. americanother7

I will give that a try.

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If the IRS reads your post they might look you up.
  5. americanother7

have they been known to do that?
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

With Homeland security the way it is today they might.
  7. americanother7

well now I know not to talk money matters on this site, I appreciate the warning!
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doing all I can not to unload on you personally. You come on here and tell every other legal tax abiding business owner (whoever they really are) that you pay under the table and and are having trouble finding good help. I'm glad you can't find good help, you don't deserve it. I suggest you take your 85 lawns a week and become legit. There are other legalities to a business than just payroll. Making payroll doesn't turn you into a legit business. Paying taxes and insurance does. If you have these and do this, I must have misunderstood your statement of "not officially a business", therefore I apologize. If I did understand you correctly, I stand behind what I said.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawnsite should start requiring a copy of a business license and proof of insurance before registering new people. This is getting ridiculous. "Lawnsite......tax cheats growing a black market economy together"
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too know of other operations, especially landscaping (large ones that make more money than me) that pay under the table and it makes me so mad. I have struggled to get the business up and going and then people like this come in and talk about how much money they are making yet don't pay employees let alone workers comp. I feel sorry for the day that one of those under the table employees get hurt on the job site