1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding good compost for topdressing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by freakyhair, Aug 25, 2014.

1. freakyhair

freakyhair LawnSite Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for some tips on finding properly aged compost for topdressing my lawn. I ordered some compost last year from a reputable mulch/compost supply place, and there was still quite a bit of un-decomposed material (small pieces of sticks, etc). When I spoke with them, they said that is the finest they screen their compost.

Are there any good pointers (or sources in MN) on finding well aged compost?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

As long as those little chunks of sticks can be easily crushed with your fingers I wouldn't worry about using it...
  3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Also interested.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great luck with LeafGro.
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would look for local compost available from construction yards and county dumps... There should be no need for using bags of regional or national distributed brands,,, unless it is a small job... :)
  6. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'll second that finding sticks (and other strange objects) is pretty normal, and doesn't mean it's inferior compost. It's not the easiest material to screen.
  7. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Some compost are inferior to others. But I don't think a few sticks here and there make it any less inferior. I'd be looking more at the NPK levels in the compost as oppose to a few sticks here and there.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The simplest way to tell if your compost is mature - ready to use - is the "bag test." Put a handful of compost into a zip-lock bag and leave it sealed for a week or so. Then open the bag and smell it. If you detect an ammonia or sour odor the compost has not finished curing.

IMHO, NPK is not really relevant with compost. You have to consider that the microbes in compost will begin to break down nutrients into plant available forms.
    Some bacteria will pull N from the air in the soil, fungi will mine P & K and make it usable by plants. Additionally, many of the minor nutrients will be made plant available.

Plus, compost will increase soil porosity and even out soil moisture. But you must use finished compost. If not, the the unfinished stuff will sequester nutrients for awhile and turf will suffer until this process is completed.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Call JMJ Landscape Supply of Rochester (google him), he keeps an excellent quality product on hand. Dry, loamy, no large sticks.
    I also used Hsu's compost in bags, but the stuff was WAAAYYY too wet and I paid the piper on that one. Good quality stuff but they should not have bagged it so wet.
  10. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you check the compost before buying it. Had a friend buy a load to spread on his yard and it burnt the whole yard. Had chunks of concrete in it and smelled funny. Lets just say, they are never buying for that nursery again.