1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding Good Employees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a terrible time finding help.Does anyone have this problem, if not
    what is a good way to find help. Finding labors are one thing but finding
    someone that will handle responsible is another. I think this is the major
    thing keeps business from growing.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You are correct the better technician may not be able to grow his company as well as a person who has good human resources skills.

You also need to show candidates how they can grow within your company. Good employees are not looking for a job they are looking for a career.

Look at your position and all the things associated with it and ask yourself, would you take that job?

Take a look at the E-Myth thread in the business section you may find some help there.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I got a chuckly when I saw this thread. Yea it's hard to find good help. I wanted to share what one kid asked me once.

My helper showes up 15 min late one day then askes what time I think we will be finishing for the day. I tell him it's a full day and not to expect to be out before 5. Ten minutes later he tells me his mom is going to maryland for turkey day and she is leaving today (day before thanksgiving) for maryland. Then he said his mom expects him (AGE 27 and living at home) to go with her. I ask when they are leaving thinking it will be in the evening and he tell me he has to be out at 3:30 so they can leave. WTF. I said nothing and had no intention of bringing him back so he could get out of work. So now I'm pissed off and he looks over at me and asks if I have a razor. I ask what the hell do you need a razor for and he replies to me so he can cut up half of his oxy. I turned the truck around and let him go. If you need a guy I can get you his number LOL.
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Yea its very hard at times. Loved that story, had many like it.
    I had this guy beg me for a job this past spring.;) he had experience. The only problem was that he had been out of jail for @ 6 months, sober and drug free for 3 months, was in classes for anger managment (hobby was boxing by the way), and was bi-polar. Oh and I forgot, he did'nt have a license to drive since it was under suspention. This guy called numerous times and could'nt understand why I would'nt give him a chance.
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

You cant find them you have to create them, once you start to do that you will get long term employee's who can help you grow your business.
  6. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I think the good workers are in business for themselves.
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The hard thing here is that our work is seasonal. I have only found a few good employees who are willing to stick around, when I can't use them 3 months/year.
  8. Uranus

from Mass

Posts 6 and 7 hit the nail right on the head. Add in no benefits and 90% of laborers have no education above high school and it sums it all up. Once you find a good employee and have him trained the way you want him/her to be you might as well consider him your competition cuz they will be leaving soon. Its hard to survive on a landscaper laborers pay.
  9. mr.greenjeans

mr.greenjeans LawnSite Member

I see I'm not the only one from Monson Ma. on here. I used to work for the guy with the big red box trucks. Now I work for me. I do the exact same thing I did before but now I don't have to listen to how he doesn't make any money.
  10. Uranus

from Mass

Did you make pizzas too