Finding Good People

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gce_ent, Mar 19, 2006.

1. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

OK I have my initial two man crew setup. I have a third person for a second crew but need someone who can supervise him. I am not sure where to look. One possiblilty is going to the local day laborers spot and passing out a flyer which states exactly what I am looking for in spanish. I am not adverse to hiring any race but find it hard to believe there are too many others out there willing to do the work.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

What are the odds you'll find a LEGAL guy at a day labor site?

3. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hey I thought all those guys were legal. I mean they are here and are out there every day. If they were not legal surely they would have been bused back by now :confused:

4. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Where are you at in texas?

5. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am in North Dallas.

6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to tell you but you'll never find a good person. They don't exsist, and the ones that do open landscaping/lawn care companies.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they are out there, but they sure as hell arent at the day labor places. Try an add in the paper with a good starting pay.

8. American_Lawn

I currently work for a day labor while in college, Labor Ready and I have to say that there are not very smart people there. Your best bet would probably be a small add in the paper. What exactly are you working for?

9. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am looking for someone to do the following:
    - Pick up work orders first thing in the AM
    - Read a Mapsco
    - Complete all work orders for that day
    - Take care of equipment
    - Manage the day laborer which will be working with you
    - Report to me at end of the day or when something happens that cannot be managed without me.

I can go on but I think this is a good start.

10. American_Lawn

I was gonna say that I could help ya but I have college in the mornings. I think your best bet would be an add. The people that I work with at day labor places are not very bright.