1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding Leaks

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Stonehenge, May 25, 2001.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If there would be a leak in a liner, how would you go about finding it?

FYI we use aquascape kits, 45mil EPDM liner.
  2. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Leaks are often like finding a needle in a haystack. I first check the perimeter of the pond and stream looking for the wetest area. Most leaks are from the liner sagging at the edge of the pond allowing water to seep over or over spray from the falls getting past the liner. A little soil built up under the liner will usually repair that type of leak. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll shut the system down, mark the water level on the inside of the skimmer and bio-falls and pond with a lumber crayon. Check back in a day or 2 and see how much water you have lost. This helps to isolate where the water is leaking.

Always check you plumbing fittings, the face plate and extension on the falls. I stopped using silicone on the skimmer face plate and liner as trying to put the plate on, keep the liner flat, and start the screws can be a 3 ring circus. I started using the double sided tape applied to the skimmer and carefully cut with an exacto knife so that it doesn't overlap and create an uneven surface. The liner can then be placed on the face plate and the wrinkles in the liner eliminated. Then I cut the opening in the liner and attach the face plate. No more wrinkles in the liner under the face plate and no more leaks. I have yet to have a leak in the liner itself, and hope that I never do. (LOL) I have one client that has 3 black labs. They think the pond was built just for them. 3 years later, still no damage to the liner from the dogs.
  3. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

If we can't find a really obvious wet spot along the liner edge, we shut it all down and wait for the water level to stabilize, then look along the waterline for the problem. Most of our leaks have been loose piping connections, or water loss around the waterfall. Our worst cases turn up in repair work on non-Aquascape ponds that someone else has built; that has led to some real nightmare leak hunts. Happily the system works the same; let it stabilize and hunt it down. Good luck.