Finding Legal Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.TX, Dec 20, 2006.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Im just to the point where i will need to hire 2 guys first of spring but im not sure exactly what i need to do. My main problem is just finding good help that is legal in the first place. There are plenty of guys who are not legal that are good workers around here in texas but where do you find legals that are willing to work. And what should i pay them.

2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a couple of good people on craigslist. Another source is the local tacqueria. Talk with the owner there. Its a good bet he'll know some people.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

consider hiring a retired person. A fireman policeman or retired mailman. someone who is used to hard work. Their work ethic will make up for their age . Consider teachers who are off for the summer. My wife is quite capable of running a walkbehind and she is still a girlie girl. House wives who have a crazy schedule for their kids school will be dedicated if your flexible with their hours.

4. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

True, I find retired military Mechanics to be hard workers and repairmen. also the gym is a good place for a help wanted add, market it as "a Healthy Job with lots of exercise and sun, outdoors and lowstress." There is a gym here that if three or more people from an orginization join up it is $10 a person per month, so I can cover there(thier) gym costs (regular single price is $45 a month).

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I've had some luck in the past with using waiters and those have swing shift night jobs. I use them part-time when I need them

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are full time and plan to build your business you might want to look into getting H2B workers. It is not an easy process and is costly. Don't plan on getting workers for 2007 you are too late.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We started with H2B in August '06 and we were too late for '07. We paid a professional consultant and everything. We lost big money attempting this and we started plenty early. There are just too many landscapers chasing too few visas.

I only know of one landscape company who has been successful with the H2B program.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Now you know two.....we got 4 guys last year in Sept. after trying for four years. And this year three came back and the fourth has contacted us about coming next year. We work with a law firm that does the work and it is a lot....and a lot of money but so far so good. Two of our guys got driver liscenses and all took English classes. All of these guys were educated.