Finding more work?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SSS 18734, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I just bought a 36" W/B Gravely and I need to find a few more jobs in the South Kansas City area in order to start paying it off and earning money. I've got everything I need to do lawns up to about an acre. But I am having so much trouble finding any work! I only need about 20 jobs total and only have 6 at the moment. I can't do mass mailings or spend a lot of money on advertising. I've just been passing out flyers door to door with no success as of yet.

Can anyone offer me some advise/help as to what I can do to find more work at this time of year? I really need to start working.

2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I found a job the other day by walking up to a homeowner who had a couple of mexicans cutting his yard and bid it $5 under them. I start in 14 days.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It may sound silly...but post on craigslist. Ive picked up alot from just that site, and it's free...so u cant lose.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

One of the best things you can do to ensure future growth is to network with other businesses. LCOs, real estate agents, etc. Just pick up a phone and offer to share some referrals. Having good relationships with other LCOs is very important and will get you a lot of business. If you see other LCO's on the street stop and talk and exchange cards. For now, one thing I recommend is to be on the lookout for properties with rental signs out front and tall grass. Give em a call and offer your services. Don't lowball like some geniuses do, it's not worth working cheap. Some people never figure it out, but there is just no need to work cheap. You won't make as much as you can charging what your services are really worth, and you will be helping the industry as a whole by helping to keep prices where they should be. Good luck.

5. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

flyers Flyers and when you get sick of sending out flyers put out more flyers:weightlifter:

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

As is starts tio get hotter outside, all of the fly by night operations will disappear. If you show up, you will have penty of work to do!

Flyers, flyers, flyers, and more flyers! You can never pass out to many!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hey that's a great idea, I just did that myself, will see what happens but you are right, you can't lose.

And you can also enter a free business listing under Yahoo Local, I got one confirmed job off doing that, once again you can not lose.