Finding out bid info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Oct 10, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Where do you guys go to find out bids that are posted or that already were given out?

Reason I ask is a person told me the other that I should be bidding on county ans state parks within my area. I was like sure but how, where, when & who?? He was like well my friend of a friend is mowing a couple this year yet and then he needs to rebid for next year.

IS there a website for this? County ext. office or state office? I know one crew, father/son crew with two mowers - they mow all the rural water towers once a week, takes about 2 days, they mow several cell tower locations 1 day a week and they finish the remaining week off doing a 2 small cememtary's.
  2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

last time i asked this people told me to go to my county website, and when i went there all i could find to bid on was installing sewer systems under roads and stuff....

if anybody has any info on this i would surely appreciate it....

I am in Lima, OH 45806 which is Allen County...
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! I found sewer systems, painting bridges, installing signs, re-grading of roads, millinig, patch work on roads/bridges. Nothing of any sort on lawn care. There are 2 crews around my area that have like 15 - 20 guys working for them and all they do is mow the county roadsides, mow interstates, the on/off ramps. They travel alot but I don't even see these types of bids listed.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to go down to the county offices and inquire. Soemtimes there is a fee for this, as for them digging it up running off one of those really expensive copies that they do. They could even make it more difficult and requiring you to apply through the freedom of information act. Also,...they do NOT have to show you the actual proposal, but just disclose the price.
  5. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

you should probably also contact the Iowa Department of Transportation

I looked at their site and they do have a bid letting area, but IT IS LAID OUT LIKE CRAP compared to what Texas can't even see what the job being let is without clicking on EACH one

keep after it and I bet you get something...but it looks like you are going to have to keep after it in person
  6. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

You have to call the county, state, or city offices. They usually just place a "notice of bid" ad in the paper and that's it! You either need to get on their mailing list or know when to keep an eye out in the paper.

I was looking on the city website and saw an ad for lawn and landscape maint. in my city for about 5 police sub stations, a couple parks, the courthouse, City hall, and several other locations.