Finding power

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by desert night light, Aug 31, 2006.

1. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

When you are determining where to mount your transformers do you find the nearest existing outlet without considering what else might be on that circuit drawing current while your lights or on? Or do you have an electrician bite into your lighting budget by having power placed strategically where you need it. Of course every job is different. Generally speaking.

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

98% of the time we run a dedicated line for the system and that's always a part of our proposal. The only time we don't is when it's new construction and they already have power run for landscape lighting.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a friend who is a licensed electrician. My proposals clearly state all line voltage work is a seperate bill from him but we need to have proper power avalible.

Only time i mess with it is if there is already a dedicated GFCI there and all I gotta do is put a bubble cover on it. I usually mount by the AC units and power entrance. So far havnt had much trouble getting power. Guy had to swap out a sub panel last time as it was already over loaded.

I have not had line voltage work run over 300 yet tho. I think clients really appreciate your wont do anything unsafe. I just tell them it needs to be safe for them and thier family and they understand.

4. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

It depends, on newer homes you can usually pull a new circuit off the service disconnect since the newer ones have room for breakers. Makes life easy.

5. desert night light

from AZ

here you have to have a permit and a electricians license to do that.

6. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

You need to be an electrician but don't need a permit here.

7. desert night light

from AZ

AZ=panel work=permit