Finding Trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paul, Aug 26, 2001.

1. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It seems that finding good shade trees in the 3" to 3.5" range is just about impossible, at least here. What is the supply like in your area.
    Now I'm talking quality not junk! I've seen trees around here that I would have cut up for kindling but guys are installing them because we are in short supply. Prices are going thru the roof too, a good 3" shade tree use to cost us $200 to $250... now if you can find it they want $300 to $350 for it and it will only be marginal !
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having the same problem here. Some of the catelogs don't even list that size anymore even though they will list 5"-6". Also the summer nursery show in our region is getting smaller because many nurseries are sold out so they don't need have a booth.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm in a different boat than you, so it's hard to compare....

3+" aren't planted as often here as they may be there. 2-2.5" is the normal fare, and those are in short supply - I'm either having to go down to 1.5" :cry: , or go up to 3" to get something nice. A good portion of the big tree market here is covered by 2-3 specialty tree farm/tree spading outfits.

Plus, this season we've probably only planted a couple dozen or so 2"+ trees - not even a full project for the size you're doing, I'm sure, so my input has limited value. Mostly hardscapes and seeding/sodding this year.
  4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

No shortage here. 3" specimine $299.00 Retail. 4-6" Redbud, Linden, ect 400-900 Retail.

Jim L
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Post some names and numbers:) wholesale only please:)
    Better yet E-mail me them:)