1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finding valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by B_gerrits, Apr 29, 2008.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client who bought a house where the irrigation system was put in by DIY idiot any ways the property is huge and there is dead plumbing all over the place. The property has sandy loam soil and the valve boxes fill up with dirt any. Anyways we have a couple of active valves we cant find ant tips on how to locate then and no there are no schmatics.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Rent a 521 locator or protech 600..

They are fairly easy to use and won't cost you a great deal of $$...

I noticed that homedepot sells a 100$ jobby but i wouldnt spend much time with that...Also Tempo (?) makes a cheap attachment to the actuator for sending tone...Worst case in good digging use a shovel....

good luck buddy.
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Ask them about it at the Horizon store on Todd Rd. in Santa Rosa. If they don't rent them they may be able put you in touch with a contractor who has one that you can hire to find the valves.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Per ML technique, run around, jumping up and down with a glass of merlot, and where it spills, there is a valve. :laugh:
  5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search for "Chatter box". It's a little device which makes the valve "chatters" and help you find it by the noise.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

7. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird, has the PW 3000 or something for like 90 bucks..
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Do those "chatter boxes" really work?
    I'm used to zapping myself with the 'ol 521 and don't know anything about these new fangled, non lantern battery powered things.:dizzy:
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a 'real' cable locator, job done.