Fine Tall Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChrisYanik, Jun 13, 2000.

1. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I currently maintain several properties which were seeded with a new cultivar of fine tall fescue. One account was resently fertilized by a Chemlawn. Well to make a long story short, the fescue at this particular account ended up growing about 12 inches a week for several weeks and I was the one who was choping 9 inches of the blade off every time I mowed the lawn. Now, about 5 weeks after the application, just about all of the fescue is dead and brown.<p>Any suggestions as to why this happend??<p>By the way.....the lawn was also seeded with perrenial rye and bluegrass. These two seed varieties are doing fine now. However, the lawn consisted on mostly fine tall fescue.<p>Also, why would someone even consider seeding a lawn with fescue??? I my opinon, fescue looks like krap when compared to perrenial rye and bluegrass. It also requires more fertilizer and water to keep it green and growing all throughout the year.<p>What's so great about fescue lawns??? NOTHING. THEY'RE TERRIBLE.
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm, that particular cultivar may exibit those charateristics, I don't think I'd label the entire fescue family, particularly not fine fescue.<p>BTW: was it a fine fescue cultivar or a tall fescue cultivar?
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why anyone would plant tall fescue either. Unless you got some cows grazing. You have to cut it high and then in a few days it looks like it need cutting again. best to cut it 3&quot; + every week or it will sometimes die if you cut it short
  4. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

Guys I don't know what part of the country you are in but here in Lexington Ky I only recommend fescue. I sodded two yards in fescue this year and they make their bluegrass counterparts look like crap. It is a turf-type tall fescue. The wider blade makes the grass look more fuller(if that's a word). Here is the deal between the three grasses mentioned. Perennial rye-probably your best looking overall variety of grass. Problem--very susceptible to disease. Have to use more expensive fungicides to treat and keep healthy. Many homeowners if given the choice won't go for that(aka--if they are educated). Bluegrass has great spring and fall color(better than fescue) but it takes a beating during the summer, doesn't handle traffic as well, isn't tolerant of shade, or heat. So that is why I prefer fescue. It wears better in our highly variable weather in the bluegrass state(ironic). I don't know what your conditions are like but those are my reasons.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY