"Fine Tuning" cutting heights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.L.C., Apr 11, 2006.

1. T.L.C.

T.L.C. LawnSite Member

I am curious to learn how many of you, like me, would like to fine tune your cutting height to 1/8" or 1/16"?

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

1/64" baby!

No, 1/4" increments are fine with me. I guess 1/8" increments would be nice, but nothing I really need. My 260Z has hydrualic deck lift so I have infinite cutting heights on that which is really nice. My 36" Gravely walk-behind has 1/2" increments and I really wish it had 1/4" increments. I find sometimes that 3" is too high and 2.5" is too low and wish I had something inbetween. I don't change cutting heights on many yards so it's not a huge deal to me, just a luxury kinda thing I guess.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I never thought about if I’d like my Walker to have ¼” increments… Perhaps it would be nice to have ¼” increments up to about 3” height, but that probably isn’t likely to ever occur with Walker until they do some redesign work. Perhaps when “manicuring” a fine bent grass putting green it would be nice to have well calibrated fine increments.

Because of the low profile tires on my Walker I’m tempted to believe that the back of the deck may be a hair lower than if I had the regular turf tires. Hmm, that’s something I should check one of these days…

4. T.L.C.

T.L.C. LawnSite Member

Would like a poll from as many people as possible please....Do you ever see the need to "fine tune" your cutting height.... Do you wish you could adjust in 1/8" increments...thanks for your replies!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

1/4" increments is fine enough IMO...we cut grass, not hair.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

No I don't. If I had it I would use it though.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have a soccer field I cut I would let almost all of the air out of the tires to get a lower cut

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah for real...

You can actually adjust it to within 1/8 of an inch, kinda...

Say your mower is set to 3" in front and back, so what you do to lower it to 2-7/8 is you lower the back to 2-3/4 and you have the front at 3" and the back 1/4 lower, that gives you a type of in-between cut.
    Sounds like it's bs but it's not, my own machine is setup like that thou the 1/8" setting had nothing to do with it.