1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fine tuning sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by argh, Apr 13, 2013.

1. argh

argh LawnSite Member
    from CA

I've got a large area that use to have all brass sprinklers and grass. Now it's Orbit pop-ups with adjustable nozzles (link) and plants only.

Since they are all 15' nozzles, there's no problem with head to head coverage, but there's now some over spray. I measured from head to head to find out what type of nozzles I need, however it's all over the place.

1. there's a very slight downward slope from the bottom (of the image) to the top.
    2. the maroon line is an area that will not have any influence on the selection of the appropriate nozzle for the surrounding heads.
    3. the 11' dotted line is a direct measurement (not to another head) of the area the nozzle should be able to reach.

What is the best spray nozzle for each head? I can't rely on the adjustment screw for any of these distances.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No turf ..... TechlineCV
  3. argh

argh LawnSite Member
    from CA

Unfortunately, I've got to work with what I have, though a dripline system would be much preferred.

Correction above: the nozzles on this zone are mostly 12' with a few 15'.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why? When you are working with a poorly designed system and a landscape that has changed since the system went in, the only reasonable thing to do is renovate the system. This is a tiny area, what exactly is holding you back from doing it right?
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Come on now, we all know the answer to this, MONEY!!! :)

Personally, any over-the top watering system in landscaping areas are asking for problems with moisture and disease issues.

Personally, I'd adjust what you got the best you can, then instruct the HO to run the system manually only when the soil moisture is severely depleted.

90% of the time, most well designed landscaping areas will have plants in them that don't require constant watering.

6. argh

argh LawnSite Member
    from CA

It's also completely covered with plants.

There are a few areas where adjustment of the nozzle would require more than a 25% adjustment - would spray performance be severely impacted to where I'd have to get new nozzles?
  7. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't know how well they hold up long term but Rain Bird and others make a sprinkler head that acts like a drip line. One can run several drip lines off an old sprinkler head point when this product is used. You could cap those sprinkler heads that you don't use or need.

Relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-CNV182BUB-Sprinkler-Conversion/dp/B003MZ1ERS

Many different products out there but this is the general idea.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You can't be serious? I understand you are from FL and all but .....
  9. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I haven't used them myself but folks are buying them and it might be an inexpensive way to solve his issue. I do understand how some irrigation pros wouldn't even consider it. "FL and all" lol
  10. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

OR... You could replace the spray valve with a drip assembly, then use existing piping to install drip line.
    Posted via Mobile Device