Fine with me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 13, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, so many of you remember the lady that is complaining about fall clean ups and the price that I gave her. She is the one that has been a customer for a really long time.

Well, today I drove by the place to check it out and somebody raked up and bagged the majority of the leaves on her lawn this weekend. I was steamed!!! It was scheduled for tomorrow and she knows that I have been playing games with her in regards to price and trying to get her to make up her mind on when she wanted it done.

So I called her up and asked her what is going on. She explained that the neighbor boy came over and raked up the leaves. But she still wanted me to come out tomorrow and finish cleaning out the beds. But she wanted me to do it for less than what was agreed to before because the majority of the lawn is already raked. I told her probably not, we agreed on the price, I fit her into the schedule, and now you expect me to take less money because someone else did it 2 days before I was scheduled to do it. I don't think so.

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

yep did the right thing

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Seems like leaf removal is the one task that customers get very impatient with. I always run into at least one customer a year that has done it themselves or grabbed some kid to do the job half-arsed. Most of them wouldn't think of going out to mow, but for some reason an entire day of punishing labor sounds good to them :dizzy:

4. tiedeman

from earth

well, I did the work for the lady today. I was amazed at the amount of leaves still there

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Man, you are nicer than me, I wouldnt have touched the job just because the lady price shopped and got THE NEIGHBOR KID to do it. What a Joke!

6. tiedeman

from earth

well, I still charged her the full price though

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I got a small yard that's just sweet to cut but come time for leaves it's a royal PITA !!! Lots of trees but the back and sides is real small like so there's no ROOM for the goat so the entire back-and-sides has to be done with the backpack and all kindsa nooks and crannies, I find it frustrating.
    Once I can get an open area, the Billygoat makes it easier but at the tune of $50/hour on top of a 'rake it or leaf it' attitude, I get more than SOME resistance this time of year.

It's just funny... They're ALL willing to pay whatever for grass-cutting but come leaf-season suddenly everybody thinks it ought to cost LESS, much LESS (around $20/hour or thereabouts)... Seems to me grass-cutting is way easier than leaves so it suits me fine if they want to do it (all) themselves.

Now when a customer asks if their help will reduce the price, I tell them it depends how much help they are willing to do... For the folks who go out an hour a day for 3-4 days in a row and give it an honest EFFORT, they can see about 30-40 dollars difference and I got no problem when their effort is VISIBLE, I find it a RELIEF some folks want to help me with this schitt.

H3ll yeah I got to this yard today and the ENTIRE back yard AND sides of the house were CLEAN !!! Big pile in the front for me to load AND I got to clean the front but 2 hours later I was done (hauled off, unloaded AND back to their house to collect my check and the billygoat).

But no, I generally do NOT appreciate the hem-haw see-saw gimme-gimme (like pulling teeth to get 5 more bucks out of them) and FINALLY they reluctanctly agree (cauz I WAS going to LEAVE anyhow but they wouldn't LET ME!!!) so then I go out there and without notice or question, a portion of it is done. I had a guy used to do it to me with his lawn (would cut parts of it himself) and it drove me absolutely nuts, I fully agree with how you handled it.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

good boy troy. thats what id do. tell lady the price is same reguardless how many someone else cleaned up.

9. tiedeman

from earth

Well, it just made me mad that I have been calling her up every week since the first week of October checking up to see when she is ready for leaves (I would never do this for someone else and in the past I always did multiple clean ups for her because of the amount of leaves that she has). Then once she gives me the go ahead to do it, less than 3 days later someone cleans the front lawn.