Fine work trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, May 30, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I use mostly the heavy .130 cross fire line on my 2 stroke shindy for most of my heavy work.
    I need to trim some very delicate gardens and want to load some not so aggressive line on my 4 stroker....any ideas what kind of line to try ???
    Thanks in advance...Daner

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

echo cross fire .95

3. Daner

95??/ waz wondering if you get a more finer cut with even lighter than the
    .95??

4. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

If it's just a one time deal or for just one account, why dont you just run to walmart and get some.065 ? It ware's fast but if your not using it alot it would work fine.

5. aceman71

aceman71 LawnSite Member

I use .80 for all my lawn trim work and am very happy with it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I never quite understood the concept of heavier being better, not with trimmer line.

Yes dealers swear by it, but then I wonder who's interest the dealer ultimately has in mind? It's not to say dealers don't care about us, but between us and them, who do they care about the most, who do they want to see in their store time and again?

All I run is 080 round on my FS100, a stihl 4-cycler. I ran it before on an Echo srm-260s and the fs85 before that.
    It's all I've ran for years, the only time I run 095 is when I first buy a trimmer and the dealer puts that stuff on for starters.
    Other than that, I despise the thicker .095, all it does is wear the machine out faster.

It's sold by weight anyhow, so the fact it wears faster is made up in that you get more feet of line not only on a roll but also on the spool, 3 pounds of 080 lasts as long as 3 pounds of 095, so long you're careful around paved surfaces and aggregate.

You get more rpm's out of 080, it is far more surgical and you use less throttle.
    So you use less fuel, the machine lasts longer, and if you remove(d) the guard you can REALLY let out some line !
    Of course, some folks may not have wanted you to know this.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites,

You really out to try the Sufix Mega Twist line.
    I REALLY think you would APPRECIATE it.

I run the .95 which to me is similar in size to .80 or so.
    I think it is available in a smaller size as well.

It is REALLY wear resistant although it is thin.
    PLUS it is REALLY aerodynamically REALLY LOW DRAG and it's quite flying.

I run it on 2 stroke machines and I can really let out plenty of line.
    I bet with your Stihl torque and .80 or .95 Mega Twist...
    Well I'd guess you could probably cut a wider swath than a 21" mower with it.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Where can you purchase it nowadays? I can't find it anywhere online anymore! I love the Sufix Megatwist .095 - you're right, comparable to .080, maybe even thinner.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

YES!! So why are you using .130 at all? You'll love switching to thinner line, even for "heavier" work. Anything thicker than .095 is too thick to cut cleanly/quickly.

10. Daner

i Keep the .130 on one trimmer...now for the type of work i get into with this ...Is farm work...cuts through bulrushes...Burdock's and alll that heavy 2' stuff...Thats why i have that loaded with the heavy stuff...The 4 stroke is loaded with .95 Diomound...but for that trimer i think the 95 is to heavy.
    I think the thinner the line the nicer the cut??
    As long as its strong enough
    I,m wondering about the .80...cross fire...or round<?
    I,m also think the trimmer line can be like a dull mower blade if it,s not designed right...the trim should cut... not tear...what do you guys think?